In consideration of the long pending demands of the journalists in the State for their welfare etc. the State Govt. have considered to introduce a new scheme viz "Journalist Medical Welfare Scheme" for financial assistance to the Accredited Journalist as identified by the Director of Information Public Relations (DIPR) Assam under the Rule of the Assam Press Correspondents (Accredited/ Recognitions) Rules, 1989 for Medical treatment of such journalists who suffer from vicious diseases. With effect from now it will include the Recognized Journalists also.
An amount of Rs.3 crore is available in the SBI Dispur Branch as fixed deposit in the corpus fund of the scheme. The balance of interest accrued from the Corpus fund is Rs.28,88,258.00/- as on 25/12/2016.
Proposals for assistance from the fund will be initiated by the DIPR. With specific recommendations and supporting documents which shall be placed before the Committee. However, in cases of urgency/emergency decision may be taken with the approval of the Chairperson and reported to the next meeting of the Committee for its approval.
A journalist as defined below shall be eligible for receiving relief from the Fund:
- He/ She is a citizen of India
- He/ She is ordinarily resident of Assam, and
- A journalist who is formally accreditated / recognised by the DIPR and fulfill all the norms required for the said accreditation/ recognition.
Applicants will have to provide the following:
- Form prescribed in Schedule-I
- Form prescribed in Schedule-II
- Other certificates and evidences regarding the current financial situation
How to Apply:
Guidelines for filling the form:
Procedure for sanction from the scheme:
- Application for grant of financial assistance shall be submitted to the Convener of the Committee (Director, DIPR) in the form prescribed in Schedule-I.
- This shall be accompanied by a report in the form prescribed in Schedule-II. Proposals for assistance will be initiated by the DIPR, with specific recommendations and supporting documents which shall be placed before the Committee.
- In case of urgency/ emergency, decision may be taken with the approval of the Chairperson. A report shall be submitted in the next meeting of the Committee for its approval.
The Convener of the Committee (Director, DIPR) may also put up deserving cases for grant of financial assistance. Provided that all the particulars in schedule I and II are obtained from the intended beneficiaries.
All the applications shall be scrutinized by the committee. The committee may also ask for other certificates and evidences regarding the current financial situation before sanctioning any sort of assistance.
Financial assistance shall be provided on the date of issue of the order sanctioning the assistance, unless otherwise specified therein.
Matters incidental to the scheme which are covered by these rules but are not specifically provided for shall also be regulated by the committee.
In addition to the conditions prescribed for assistance, the Committee may lay down any other condition or guidelines with prior approval of Government.
The Chairman of the Committee may sanction interim financial assistance from the fund to meet emergency needs in most deserving cases. The Committee may however prescribe the maximum limit that can be sanctioned by the Chairman in such emergent cases.
The fund shall be jointly operated by the Vice-Chairman and Member Secretary/Convener of the Committee who shall maintain a separate account for the same.
The account of the fund shall be maintained by the Accounts Branch of the DIPR, under the supervision of the Finance Accounts Officer of the DIPR, with return to be sent to Financial Adviser, I PRD periodically.
Periodic Audit may be conducted by the Auditor of AG (Audit).
Type of Service:
Forms to be filled:
Schedule - I