As per the Section 39 of Motor Vehicle Act 1988 no person shall drive any motor vehicle and no owner of motor vehicle shall permit the vehicle to be driven in any public place or any other place unless the motor vehicle is registered in accordance with the Chapter-IV of The Motor Vehicle Act, 1988. After purchasing the vehicle from the dealer the owner shall have to register the vehicle in the District Transport Office, in whose jurisdiction, the applicant has the residence or a place of business.
- An application for registration of a motor vehicle is required to be made to the registering authority within a period of seven days from the date of taking delivery of such vehicle, excluding the period of journey.
- Apply for permanent registration of a motor vehicle in Form 20 to the Registering Authority in whose jurisdiction the vehicle is.
- Confirm the type of registration number (Fancy number/Choice number/General number)
- Confirm about the usage requirement of HSRP/smart card
- Pay appropriate fee as specified in Rule 81 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 depending on the choice of registration number and use of HSRP/smart card
- Pay Tax as per Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 depending on the choice of registration number and use of HSRP/smart card
Click here for fees.
- Application in Form 20
- Sales certificate in Form 21
- Road worthiness certificate in Form 22 from the manufacturers (Form 22A from the Body builder)
- Pollution under control certificate
- Valid insurance certificate
- Proof of address (Ration card, Electricity bill etc.)
- Design approval copy of STA in case Trailer or Semi-Trailer
- Original sales certificate from the concerned authorities in Form 21 in the case of ex-army vehicle
- Custom's clearance certificate along with licence, and bond in case of imported vehicle
- Temporary registration, if any
- Form 34 (in case of HP endorsement)
- Copy of PAN card of Form 60 and Form 61 (as applicable)
- Dealer and manufacturer invoice
- Passport size photographs
How to apply:
The owner shall have to apply for registration of the vehicle in the District Transport Office or through online Dealer Points.
Type of Service:
Available as Online Service via dealer points.
Forms to be filled:
Sales certificate Form 21
Road worthiness certificate in Form 22
Form 34 (in case of HP endorsement)
Form 22A (in case of Body builder vehicle)
Whom to Contact:
For any queries regarding Registration, you may contact: